DHN is Officially Defunct

The general discussion forum. Come here to talk about whatever the hell you please!
Sofia the 3rd

04 Feb 2017, 15:02 #1

I apologize if this news is disappointing to anyone, but there's no sense in stringing people along anymore.
The site will remain online, but it will likely not be updated ever again.
The board will remain online and open, but James and I will not be regularly checking it anymore. We understand that people often regard their online postings as a part of themselves and value the time they've invested in making them. For that reason, we will not be closing or deleting the board. Just saying that we won't be visiting or posting anymore and that we would prefer if others would do the same unless you are specifically looking for something that was posted here for some reason.
We encourage all new conversation and posts to be made at Port Saiid instead.
If Port Saiid is down and you really need to post about something, Pero and Dom's Forums will be the backup board from now on.
Our community is small enough that we feel we don't need a main board and a community board anymore. There isn't anything that can be said here that can't just be said at Port Saiid. And as a back-up board, this one would need some redesign work to make it look good on modern widescreen monitors. That's effort we don't feel like making and Pero's forums already have a decent, modernized design.
Another issue that Tyler brought up earlier is that Twitter has, in a way, taken over the role of this forum, and as much as we've all loved ezboard/Yuku for years, I do agree Twitter is better for short, casual conversations. You don't have to keep loading topics, refreshing, waiting for the other person to reply. The messages just come right at you instantly. Coming back here and trying to talk like that feels antiquated in comparison.
To help anyone who isn't on Twitter yet, FO made a list: https://twitter.com/FlyingOmelette/list ... st/members
You can follow us there. You can ask to be added to the list if you want.
It's been a great (almost) 18 years running this forum, and I always love coming here and seeing that silly digital banner up there for some reason, but it's time to move on. We're no longer living in the era when ezboard was all the rage and people hopped from forum to forum every night. We feel that having one board for more in-depth conversation than what is possible on Twitter is sufficient and it keeps us from being spread too thin. You don't want to say something important about yourself on a board where few people will see it. It's just wasted time and energy.
I wanna thank everyone who kept coming around throughout the years and contributed to this site and community forum. Your efforts have not gone unappreciated. Sometimes I feel that maybe I don't thank people enough for their time and support. I have a few mental issues that make expressing emotions other than anger difficult for me. I know that there are times that's made me seem like a really grumpy person, so the fact that people were still willing to come around blows my mind. That shows how special you are.
Anyway, so...I guess that's it. We'll see you at Port Saiid or on Twitter.
Thanks.

Pero the Cat

04 Feb 2017, 17:21 #2

I'll admit that I always felt this place to be a part of me and I'll miss it, although as you can see, I've barely posted here myself lately. There just hasn't been enough new conversations and I am far more likely to start new ones at Port Saiid or Twitter.
So, in other words, I fully support your decision, albeit with a slightly heavy heart.
Edit: One of the things I always loved about this board is that during the era when ezboard (and to a lesser extent Yuku) had a lot of roving traffic, for some reason weird things would always happen here. I have no idea why they'd happen here, of all places, but it was strangely fascinating and funny to see those situations play out. But as it is, I haven't seen anything like that since "loveglove3", and that was quite a few years back by now...in fact, right before Obama became president the first time. So, it's like 8 years ago. Without the roving traffic to bring us those strange situations, some of the allure of checking here every day is gone.
Last edited by Pero the Cat on 04 Feb 2017, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

Flying Omelette

04 Feb 2017, 18:37 #3

I fully support your decision. Just wanted to make one suggestion:
In order to keep this place as a functioning archive, there needs to be at least one post made per year. The advanced search turned off at ShnooWorld because it laid untouched for several years, and nothing's been able to get it working again. If the point of not closing the board is so that people can still look up their old posts, then a functioning search is almost essential.
I'm not sure if Yuku still does purges of inactive boards, but that's another reason to make at least one post a year. I'd in fact, recommend once every six months.
You don't have to worry about this for awhile, of course, it's just something to keep in mind. Maybe just make a topic called "Anti-Board Purge Topic" and "bump" it once in awhile. I can offer to help with that, but I can't guarantee I'll always remember.
I was actually doing this with some of our abandoned ezboards up until 2005. Then that infamous hacker attack deleted most of them anyway.

James FP

08 Feb 2017, 03:38 #4

Making a post once a year probably won't be an issue, so long as I'm alive and capable and/or Debbie is. It probably is advisable to download and save anything you REALLY want to keep, though, in case of unexpected data loss.

Nixxy Blayde

14 Feb 2017, 00:02 #5

What? This sucks. This place is a community staple. It's far from being dead. The topics on the main page only go back as far as July 2016. There was complete front page topic turnover last year. And I can read this forum just fine on my monitor. 90 mile wide screens suck!

Magnus Crowe

01 Mar 2017, 02:21 #6

The search already seems to be not working.

Junus Crowe

07 Mar 2017, 15:58 #7

I'm also disappointed in this news, but what can I say? I haven't had time for the website and even when I did, I don't know if I felt like my work was appreciated. Pero was the only person who thanked me, and people were giving FO all the credit for the work I did, which isn't her fault since I know she tried to set the record straight. But I never got an apology and proper recognition from the people who did it.

Junus Crowe

21 Mar 2017, 00:15 #8

Magnus Crowe wrote:
The search already seems to be not working.
BTW, this is definitely working again. Must've been a temporary glitch.

James FP

30 Apr 2017, 00:32 #9

Junus, thank you for your work. I wish we could've done more reviews together. My schedule just got too hectic.
Nixxy Blayde wrote:
What? This sucks. This place is a community staple. It's far from being dead. The topics on the main page only go back as far as July 2016. There was complete front page topic turnover last year. And I can read this forum just fine on my monitor. 90 mile wide screens suck!
It was dying a very slow and prolonged death and Debbie and I simply decided to finally shoot it in the head. There is almost nothing that you can say here that can't just be said at Port Saiid. We might even be leaving Yuku altogether soon, so that makes hanging onto this place especially pointless. Accounts at a new service won't work here.

Lord Vyce

26 May 2017, 18:41 #10

You can definitely say things here that you can't say anywhere else. Like the ratio of fog density to alien encounters.